Dental erosion is when the surface of your teeth, including the enamel, are eroded away exposing the underlying dentine. There are several different reasons on why you may be experiencing the discomfort of dental erosion, some causes could be due to the acids that you drink or eat, acids coming up from your stomach or by tooth grinding.
Dental erosion, if left untreated, can lead to the progressive loss of the surface of the tooth. You can help prevent tooth erosion by limiting the acidic food and drinks you consume, and by following these handy tips:
- Ensure that you have well balanced healthy diet.
- Try to reduce your intake of acidic food and drinks.
- Try to always use a straw when you are drinking an acidic drink.
- Eat fruit rather than drink fruit juice.
- Always chew a sugar-free gum after eating to help promote saliva.
- Try to rinse your mouth with water after exposure to acidic food or drinks.
- Always use a soft bristled toothbrush with fluoridated toothpaste, not an abrasive toothpaste such as some whitening products.
- Make sure if grinding your teeth is an issue that you wear a custom made splint at night to protect your teeth!
At Australia Dental Burpengary, your local dentist, we are always here to help so if you find that you may be suffering from any of these symptoms please do not hesitate to contact us and now with online booking available making it easier to make an appointment.